Awards and Recognitions
We Recognize Outstanding Achievements in our Myeloma Community
The Dr Andrew R Belch Myeloma Education and Enriched Training (MEET) Grant
The MEET grant has been created in recognition of the outstanding life-time achievements of Dr Andrew Belch in the field of multiple myeloma as well as his lifelong mentoring of young researchers.
Dr Belch has been an active supporter of Myeloma Canada and the Myeloma Canada Research Network (MCRN) since their inception, including having served as Chair of the Myeloma Canada Scientific Advisory Board.
The grant has been created to help foster the development as well as support the participation of young Canadian myeloma investigators at either the 2019 International Myeloma Workshop (IMW, Sept 12-15, 2019, Boston, MA) or the 2019 American Society of Hematology Conference (ASH, Dec 7-10, 2019 Orlando, FL).
A total of 6 MEET grants of CDN $4,000 each will be awarded. The grants are to be used exclusively to cover conference registration fees, travel and lodging for either IMW 2019 OR ASH 2019.
Click here for full details.
Marion State Memorial Myeloma Canada Nursing Award
In 2012, Myeloma Canada created the Marion State Memorial Myeloma Canada Nursing Award to recognize excellence in myeloma nursing care. The award was created in recognition of Marion State’s extraordinary contributions to the Canadian myeloma community. A nursing graduate from Toronto General Hospital and Ryerson University, Marion was diagnosed with multiple myeloma in 1996. One year later, she founded the Toronto & District Multiple Myeloma Support Group, the first myeloma patient support group in Canada. The Toronto & District Multiple Myeloma Support Group provided valuable support to other patients across the country. Marion lived an active life for 15 years until her passing in 2012. The award recipient is honoured with a plaque.
Past winners have been:
- 2014: Nanette Cox (CrossCancer Institute, Edmonton)
- 2015: Marcia Culham (Tom Baker Cancer Centre, Calgary)
- 2016: Tiziana Vadacchino (Jewish General Hospital, Montreal)
- 2017: Cathy Foster (Joseph Brant Hospital (JBH) Cancer Clinic, Burlington)
- 2018: Ellen Church (Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, Toronto)
- 2019: Farah McKenzie (BC Cancer Agency, Centre for the North, Prince George)
- 2020: Wendy Bursey (Juravinski Cancer Centre)
- 2021: Nathalie Lachapelle, Marie-Pier Lecours-Cyr, Myriam Hébert, Anne-Marie Châtelain and Édith Cartier (Multiple Myeloma Clinical Research Team at Hôpital Maisonneuve-Rosemont, Montreal)
Carolyn Henry Memorial TEAM Award
The Excellence in Advocacy Medal (TEAM) Award was created in 2009 to recognize outstanding achievements by patient advocates and their supporters who led successful campaigns to fight for equitable access to myeloma treatments. In 2012, the award was renamed the Carolyn Henry Memorial TEAM Award in recognition of Carolyn’s pioneering advocacy efforts. Carolyn lost her 11-year battle with myeloma in January 2012.
Past winners have been:
- 2009: Carolyn Henry, Cindy Leder and the Ontario advocacy team
- 2010: Marguerite Leask and the Manitoba advocacy team
- 2011: Carol Coleman and the New Brunswick advocacy team
- 2012: Carol Westberg
- 2013: Ev McDowell, Jeff Parton and the London & District Multiple Myeloma Support Group
- 2014: Canadian Association for Rare Disorders (CORD)
- 2015: Aldo Del Col
- 2016: Robin Sully and the Ontario Advocacy Committee